We are Dorcas and we desire justice, for both people and their communities, so that they flourish. We strive for lasting change for those who live in poverty, are excluded, or are caught in a crisis. We are a Christian organization and we work prayerfully. We value entrepreneurship and are ready to go off the beaten track. We desire to partner with everyone who shares our mission.
Dorcas is a Christian development and relief organization, which operates from the Netherlands through different field offices in the Middle East, Eastern Europe, and Africa.
The WASH and construction engineer is responsible for providing technical and implementation support for the project. The WASH and construction engineer is part of the field Office team, is accountable to the Project manager, and works in wide close collaboration with the head of logistics, security officer, and Office Assistant in Sinjar.
- Managing and planning the construction project
- Designing the project structures
- Surveying the construction site and providing a detailed report on how to carry out the project and its consequences
- Liaising with local authorities, municipal councils, environmental agencies and statutory authorities and government departments on the requirements and implications of the construction
- Ensuring Occupational Health & Safety compliance on site
- Arm subordinate staff with relevant information on construction
- Advising the workers on the construction process and addressing their concerns
- Solving construction problems as soundly as possible
- Keeping Management and relevant stakeholders informed of progress including possible impediments to construction works
- Conducting surveys on the sites where the construction is to take place
- Acting as the quality control and assurance to ensure that the project objectives are met
- Selecting the ideal equipment’s to be used
- Scheduling the construction work
- Laying down the preferred construction methods
- Ensuring that the project starts on time and ends within the estimated duration.
- Assess the needed rehabilitation WASH works in infrastructure.
- Supervise the implementation of the WASH Projects in Nineveh.
- In coordination with Zonal Manager, Project Coordinator, and WASH Technical Advisor, implement project activities in accordance with the project guidelines and targets
- Create BoQ and design and assist in tendering documents.
- Review designs, specifications, BOQ, and conditions of contract issued by Water Directorate and attend all site level meetings with Contractor and Water Directorate Engineers.
- Provide supervision, technical assistance, and project management skills to local staff within the operational areas of Nineveh in Sinjar District.
- Coordinate, manage resources and implement WASH activities, including constructing and rehabilitating water supply and sanitation systems, health centers rehabilitation, school rehabilitation, and promoting good hygiene practices to the returnees within operational areas.
- Monitor and inspect private contractor work at vital construction milestones per project schedule
- Prepare project technical reports, and assist Sector Manager in project proposals and periodic reports.
- Develop design plans, working drawings, technical specifications, bill of quantities as per approved standards by the Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation and the Ministry of Education for all construction works outlined on the project designs for the said projects, including emergency sanitation facilities.
- Develop, negotiate, and manage contracts with service providers (may include preparation of tender documents for purposes of soliciting bids/tenders from contractors for the said project.
- Assist in ensuring the close liaison and consultation with the Communities leaders during the implementation of the project as per the project document requirement.
- Coordinate and supervise implementation works including managing construction contracts.
- Coordinate and participate in projects start-up meetings and end of Project Evaluations
- Facilitate Consultant during school administration engagements.
Work quality outputs and budget controls
- Assist in establishing and oversight of the implementation of systems for efficiently controlling the quality of technical works; closely tracking works progress against payment and work plans, and controlling the quality of the final construction outputs as per donor and user community expectations.
- Maintain construction budget components to ensure appropriate and efficient use of resources in the project and area of operation.
Reporting and communication
- Ensure that project documentation is prepared, including weekly and monthly project reports on implementation/ construction status, as per requirements of Dorcas
- Conduct regular development inspections highlighting a potential area of concern
- Support Project Coordinator in liaising with the Finance and Grants team in tracking project component project expenditure, reviewing financial reports, and addressing queries of related expenditure in a timely manner.
- Other tasks as requested by the Line Manager and/or Response Manager.
Additional main tasks as requested by the project manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil engineering
- A Master’s degree in the above-related field is preferred.
- Experience in designing and putting bills of quantities, WASH, and education facilities like water projects, construction of schools, and hygiene promotion for affected people in particular in schools.
- Experience in working on the Bill of Quantities and design for water and sanitation facilities in particular in schools.
- Experience in coalition building and ability to rally coalitions and networks to take positions on specific policy issues.
- Experience in water conservation awareness-raising campaigns.
- Fluency in English and Arabic.
- Ability to write reports in English.
- Computer literate mainly in Microsoft Office package
- Successful track record in project coordination.
- Ability to manage a wide range of work assignments and changing priorities in high pressure and demanding environment
- Strategic, creative and innovative thinking.
- Demonstrated understanding of the NGO sector, public sector planning in MEER countries.
- Ability to work in high tension and high-security risk situations and be able to adapt to rapidly changing contexts
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, psychologically stressful environments, and physical hardship conditions with limited resources
- Ability to respect and relate appropriately to people of other faiths.
- Understands work from a process point of view and uses measurement and accountability systems effectively.
- Excellent time-management and prioritization.
- 1-3 years of experience focused on the management of humanitarian programs involving rural communities to promote humanitarian response.
- Experience in project management and programming knowledge in WASH and construction.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed CV, a brief cover letter to address the requirements above, and contact information for two professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference; “ WASH Engineer ” in the subject line of your email application.
All staff are required to sign and adhere to the Dorcas Code of Conduct including Child Safeguarding (following guidelines of PSEA - Protection against Sexual Exploitation and abuse). Recruitment is subject to the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including references and criminal record checks
You can find the Dorcas Code of Conduct at our website: https://www.dorcas.org/approach/