Action Against Hunger is a global humanitarian organisation committed to ending world hunger and recognized as a leader in the fight against malnutrition. Founded in 1979, Action Against Hunger delivers programmes, in over 40 countries while committed to respect humanitarian principles as a non-governmental, non-political, non-religious and, non-profit organisation. Our mission is to save lives through the prevention, detection, and treatment of malnutrition, especially during and after emergency situations and conflict. Action Against Hunger intervenes in four main areas: Nutrition, Mental Health & Care Practices; Water, Sanitation & Hygiene; Food Security and Livelihoods; Advocacy and Raising Awareness.
Action Against Hunger is looking for a MEAL OFFICER in Basra.
Work place: Basra with frequent visits to ACF areas of interventions.
Type of contract: Initially Seven(7) months Fixed-Term contract with the possibility of extension.
Working Hours: Full Time Contract of minimum 40 hours per week up to a maximum of 48 hours per week
Monthly Basic Salary: USD 1,940 basic salary
Benefits: Monthly Transport Allowance (USD 110) + Medical Insurance + End of Year Benefit (30% of basic salary per year).
Purpose of the position:
To provide support to the MEAL HOD/ Manager in delivering the MEAL activities, ensuring deliver projects intervention within the required quality , ensuring that ACF’s impacts, outcomes, and outputs are measured and learnt from., strengthen the accountability system towards ACF’s beneficiaries and the learning process of the organization.
The Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning Officer (MEAL) will be providing support in MEAL activities of ongoing and upcoming projects on WASH, MHCP and Food Security and Livelihood sectors. The MEAL officer will be responsible for field-level MEAL needs of the project and will come up with findings based on process and performance monitoring and evidence-based data using participatory approach to show performance of the projects. The M&E officer will also help ACF in strengthening its MEAL functions based on his/her experiences from the project and serve as a support function.
- Develop a Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) system (comprehensive log frame, M&E plan and indicator tracking table, data collection tools, information flow, reporting and review) consistent with the ACF meal framework, as appropriate, and in accordance with specific donor requirements.
- conduct data collection(qualitative and quantitative) in the field and execute the methodologies provided by the MEAL manger/HOD for the purpose of verify project implementation
- Participate in all other aspects of MEAL, for example surveys, baselines, evaluations, joint projects monitoring and reviews / lessons learning workshops/events.
- Produce monitoring checklists and conduct regular joint field process monitoring, quality assessment and data validation, and provide feedbacks and recommendations for timely improvement
- Support the MEAL HOD in designing MEAL tools
- Support the MEAL manager in defining sampling and assessment methodologies
- Follow up on monthly Activity progress report (APR) with the PMs.
- Working closely with data management officer to prepare the need tools and dashboard.
Reporting & Analysis
- M&E Officer ensures timely data analysis and preparation of monitoring report according to ACF procedures and standards.
- Will support poject in collaboration with PM/DPM in compiling of data and write reports accordingly.
- Draft report and provide regular progress report to MEAL HOD.
- Analyse MEAL findings, drafting and presentation of results
- Will support programs/grants with analysis and graphic representation of data for reporting purposes
Evaluation and Learning
- Support the MEAL HOD in organizing and facilitating regular review and learning events
- Supports the MEAL HOD in design and implementation of periodic internal evaluation activities including baseline surveys, research and evaluations.
- Support and facilitate the external evaluation in the field.
- Develop field staff capacities to employ a learning approach to their work. She/he will also be actively involved in promoting learning through documentation of lessons learned and developing approaches for community analysis and utilization of data for decision-making.
- In coordination with MEAL Accountability officer and MEAL HOD undertake accountability activities, including the development and use of information sharing materials and the establishment of complaint response mechanisms. This may include ensuring that complaints are logged and addressed in a professional and timely manner and that serious complaints relating to abuse, exploitation and corruption and referred appropriately per to ACF IQ mission protocol.
- Undertake regular visits to projects to contribute to the development and roll out of accountability processes.
Data Collection & Validation
- Ensure transparent, accurate and timely data collection for the purposes of baseline study, real-time evaluation and post-intervention/ post-distribution monitoring. It involves: field visits to project locations; conducting training for local enumerators; application of different data collection tools as well as collecting GPS and photographic data from the field.
- Ensure all data collection is done in line with good quality monitoring data, in a timely manner, and organize data received for reporting
- Ensures the quality of monitoring data reported by project staff through capacity building, supportive supervision, routine checking and validation of data.
- Actively contributing to designing and regularly updating program MEAL guidelines and tools and ensures that project staff have access and can use the tools,
- Support the MEAL HOD in developing capacity of local communities, partners and staff on the programme MEAL framework, data management, and data analysis and results‐oriented programming, monitoring and evaluation methods and principles and reporting systems
- Support the MEAL HOD in training concerned program staff on the use of MEAL system; conduct rapid assessments and trend analysis of field-based programs to monitor program activity.
- Ensures the quality of monitoring data reported by field offices through capacity building, supportive supervision, routine checking and validation of data.
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive and the employee will also perform other related tasks as required and is responsible for reporting and communication of progress and achievement of the specific assigned task
- The employee should be flexible and adaptable with regards to the implementation of the daily work/activities
- The employee is expected to conduct all duties in a professional manner following ACF Iraq mission staff regulations and charter
2. Good knowledge in emergency and development contexts in terms of implementing monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning activities at field level.
3. Strong analytical knowledge
4. Strong knowledge in Project Management cycle and role of MEAL
5. Experience in conducting and supervising data collection activities using mix-method approaches in assessments, surveys and evaluation studies
6. Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills with proven ability to work effectively and harmoniously with a team of colleagues;
7. Experience and competency in conducting qualitative and quantitative data collection
8. Experience in use of digital data collection tools
9.Experience in managing the design and roll out of database software/ systems.
10.Proficiency in Microsoft suite Excel, SPSS, STATA, KOBO, ODK preferred
11.Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mind set
12.Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manne
13.Experience in delivering training/presentations to internal and external audience
14.Knowledge of international development standards and best practice mechanisms (Sphere, HAP, etc.
15.Knowledge and experience of complex survey design and implementatio.
16.Very good report writing skills.
17.Very good oral and written communication
18. Knowledge in staff’s management and capacity building in MEAL activities
Managerial Skills (if applicable)
Intellectual Rigour, Sense of responsibility, Attention to detail,Good organizational capacity, Facilitation and Presentation Skills, Good human relationships, writing skills, ability to prioritize and meet deadline, Flexibility and willingness to conduct a diverse range of tasks, able to work in remote management setting
Arabic: Mandatory – Fluent spoken & written
English: Very Good level spoken & written
Proficiency with MS office (Word, Excel, PPT & Outlook)
Ability to use EXCEL is mandatory
Knowledge of statistical software is plus
Knowledge of use Power Bi is plus
Ability to use the use and mange KOBO/ODK platform
HOW TO APPLY:
Closing Date: Tuesday,27th April 2021
Qualified candidates must submit a Cover Letter and a Resume (CV) including 2 professional references and a copy of any relevant Certification/Degree and a copy of National ID and/or Residency Card to
Please indicate the job reference number: BAS/MEAL/12/042021, in the e-mail subject line.
Action Against Hunger encourages female candidates to apply.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will only contact short-listed candidates for further screening.
Please note that the final candidates will be subjected to security screening and positive references.
For more information please visit our website: http://www.actioncontrelafaim.org/en