The HALO Trust is a British charity which conducts clearance activity throughout the world to remove the threat of injury from mines and improvised explosive devices. Due to an expansion of an existing project in Salah Al-din , we are seeking an experienced Head Mechanic.
The Head Mechanic is responsible for the serviceability of all vehicles and machinery in HALO Laos. They have direct oversight of the other staff mechanics and occasional HQ drivers to assist them in maintenance and repair work.
As a manager, they are to lead by example and support other staff in the programme. As a member of HALO staff they will work closely with others and provide as an example of HALO’s good working practice, always working hard to ensure the job is done.
At all times all HALO Trust employees are expected to:
- Behave and perform duties to a high standard, always upholding The HALO Trust’s good reputation during HALO’s working cycle
- Build and maintain good relations with the local communities that we work in and work to help
- Work well with others and always support our HALO colleagues and respect each other
- Maintain a professional approach, always behaving professionally and wearing HALO uniform.
The Head Mechanic is responsible for service and repair of all vehicles and machinery. They are the direct line manager for all HALO mechanics, and are responsible for the oversight of all work done on HALO’s mechanical equipment.
- Provide technical expertise and manual skill in the inspection, servicing, and repair of programme vehicles and other mechanical equipment. Report vehicle issues to Fleet Manager.
- Perform preventative maintenance to prolong the serviceability of equipment.
- Conduct regularly scheduled service checks
- Ensure all vehicles, strimmers, generators, water pumps and any other mechanical equipment stay up to date and in good working order
- Provide ongoing training to mechanics, strimmer operators, and drivers regarding the preventative maintenance and routine care of programme vehicles and mechanical equipment.
- Accurately record details on service histories and job sheets.
- Present monthly briefs to senior management and Fleet Manager about work accomplished during standown and ongoing problems.
- Create monthly workplans to share with Fleet manager.
- Immediately report any damage to any vehicle or other equipment to the Fleet Manager, DPM and PM
Logistics and stores
- Take responsibility for the fleet workshop. This includes accounting for and organizing all tools, ensuring workshop cleanliness, and ensuring the safe disposal of all workshop waste.
- Request spare parts and workshop equipment when necessary.
- Ensure parts for write off are labelled with job sheet number and submitted to PM for write-off
- Manage the
- activities of other mechanics
The Head Mechanic must have a valid Lao PDR driver’s license and must have passed the HALO Laos driver course. They must have at least 3-4 years’ experience working on vehicle and small engine repair. The Head Mechanic must be able to diagnose and perform most repairs needed on all the vehicles and machinery they are responsible for. They must also have a firm grasp of parts ordering and knowledge about where parts can be obtained quickly and cheaply. They must understand logistics systems and be able to categorize and track items in the fleet stores
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: Thursday 4th January 2021