Under overall guidance of the Chief of Mission (CoM)/DCoM, under the overall supervision of Head of the unit and direct supervision of the Senior Cultural orientation Trainer in Erbil and in coordination with the regional cultural orientation coordinator in Amman, Jordan, the incumbent’s responsibilities will include the following:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Plan, Organize and conduct cultural orientation sessions for Australia-bound refugees under AUSCO in MENA region as needed;
2. Attend and participate in annual AUSCO trainings and workshops, participate in staff exchange programs when needed by the CO Coordinator;
3. Conduct (CO) for UK- bound refugees both within Iraq as well as throughout the region;
4. Conduct CO for France bound refugees in Iraq when needed;
5. Write lesson plans in accordance with CO Middle East curriculum objectives;
6. Implement student- centred activities in all CO classes;
7. Participate in and contribute to teacher trainings and staff development seminars;
8. Assist in the development of teaching materials, visual aids, and bulletin boards which supports the objectives of the CO curriculum;
9. Write and submit reports following TDY missions;
10. Assist to maintain CO MENA statistics;
11. Maintain inventories of all instructional supplies and order materials in direct consultation with the senior CO Coordinator on quarterly basis ;
12. Engage in self-directed study for professional development, including reading resettlement updates, language tutorials, attending CO related workshops and seminars;
13. In Coordination with IOM Operations department, obtain refugees contact information and make sure refugees are informed of their scheduled CO classes when needed;
14. Prepare class schedules and update CO tracking sheets for reporting purposes as directed by the Senior CO Coordinator
15. Assist Senior CO Coordinator submit monthly and quarterly program narrative and statistical reports;
16. Act as back up to the senior CO trainer in Erbil as needed;
17. Work cooperatively with all relevant IOM units including Operations, Administration and Finance, and the Chief of Mission as needed;
18. Identify means to ensure and maintain a high level of integrity consistent with the principles of the organization and the program, follow-up with implementation and monitoring;
19. Travel independently throughout the region to deliver Cultural Orientation classes, as required and at times on short notice
20. Perform other related duties as assigned.
• University degree in teaching or related filed from accredited academic institution with 3 years of relevant professional experience
• Completed High School degree from accredited academic institution with 5 years relevant professional experience.
• Excellent Skills in MS Office applications, good internet skills.
• Personal qualities: Highly motivated with strong interest in humanitarian work, dynamic and energetic with strong personality to manage work pressure.
• Typing Skills: Excellent typing skills in English 50-60 w/m.
• Excellent knowledge in word processing, and experience in using database. Team Player
• Experience in working in an international environment and in liaising with a variety of partners at all levels of the hierarchy.
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills. Ability to present clear and concise information.
• Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds, ability to handle confidential matters
• Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
• commitment, efficiency, flexibility, drive for results
• Fluency in English, Kurdish and Arabic are required;
• Any other language is and advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
While this vacancy is open to both Internals and Externals, priority shall be given to qualified Internal applicants.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via a link:
For an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.