Free to Run’s mission is to drive change in community gender norms in conflict areas by supporting adolescent girls and young women to develop their leadership and wellness through running. We are a registered nongovernmental organization in three countries that has been operating community-led programs for migrants and ethnic minority populations in Iraq, Afghanistan, Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan and Hong Kong since 2014. We deliver long-term, youth-led, progressive running, leadership, rights and health programs directly to individuals (ages 10-24) to build assets and social access. However, the longer term impact of our work is building enduring social change - decreasing barriers to public participation, increasing women in leadership and making power structures more equitable and inclusive. The organization is in a position of significant growth, in terms of our strategy, reach, impact and operating budget.
Sinjar Sports Facilitator, will be responsible for working with FTR on coaching the running activities to our “Core Team” of young athletes preparing to compete in races. Additionally, the Sports Facilitator helps in developing program activities and projects for the FTR office, supporting external communications, and administrative tasks. Performing all other tasks and responsibilities assigned for the benefit of FTR with a generous serving spirit. The Sports Facilitator will be reporting to the Senior Program Officer. The position is part time and is based in Erbil with frequent travel to the Sinjar.
Support Free to Run Programs in Iraq (70%)
- Assist with the design and implementation of sport activities such as running and hiking
- Coach sessions of marathon training for girls and young women who are new to sport
- Support logistics and operational aspects of the program
- Support monitoring and evaluation analysis of the program
- Conduct outreach activities
- Contribute to social media content, including photos and videos
- Design and lead an event or activity in an IDP camp, focusing on exercise for women
- Work closely with the Senior Program Officer to ensure all aspects of the program are adequately staffed and supported
- Provide general office and administrative support for FTR
- Other tasks as assigned
2. General Support and Preparation (30%)
- Assist FTR on administrative tasks
- Assist FTR staff with fundraising
- Assist FTR staff with operational tasks
- Participate in weekly team meetings
- Complete required training for in-field work (BSAFE, etc.)
Complete other activities as directed by the Senior Program Officer and perform all other tasks and responsibilities assigned for the benefit of Free to Run with a generous and serving spirit.
Location (Duty Station)
The Sports Facilitator position will be based in Erbil, with frequent travel to Sinjar.
The Sports Facilitator position is a part time job, estimated at 20 hours per week. Due to the nature of the organization’s business, hours may fluctuate outside regular core hours for Free to Run, which is 9:00 am-1:00 pm, with the possibility of some nights or weekends, depending on the needs of the organization.
Based on experience. Aligned with market rate in Kurdistan and Iraq.
Qualification, Education, Experience, Skills and Competencies
Below is what we are looking for as we evaluate applications. Candidates don’t need to have all these experiences and competencies but should be able to display strengths across multiple areas.
Education: Current university student or recent university graduate of either a Masters or Bachelors in a Physical Education and Sport Sciences or relevant field.
Eligibility: Candidates must not hold concurrent employment or contractual obligations to be considered eligible for this position.
- Keen knowledge of running and athletic training. This position is ideal for track or cross-country runners and coaches or anyone who has experience training themselves or others for preparing for a running race
- Passion for Free to Run’s mission, including the power of sport, working with women and girls, and youth-led projects
- 2-5 years of experience working with girls and young women directly (ideally in a sport setting but others considered acceptable as well)
- Ability to manage priorities, work independently and collaboratively, and accept constructive feedback
- Familiarity with social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
- Knowledge of Iraq/Arab culture or NGO sector preferred
- Knowledge of and ability to teach basic nutrition for athletes
- Knowledge of and ability to teach basic injury prevention
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to run with participants at moderate distances
- Ability to travel internationally (unless based currently in Iraq), this includes having a valid passport
- Ability to endure extreme heat
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated intercultural communication and negotiation skills
- Results orientation; ability to organize self under the pressure of a dynamic and quickly changing environment
- Ability to perform in a office environment with professional respect for colleagues
- Microsoft 365 and Google Workspace to manage documents, spreadsheets, scheduling, etc.
- Solid understanding of women’s/girls’/human rights in Iraq and the region preferred
- Ability to assimilate and analyze information to identify what is important to achieve goals and provide effective solutions
- Ability to display a sense of calmness and control over difficult or unforeseen situations in self and the team. Ability to cope with your own emotional demands while encouraging teamwork and constructive collaboration. While Erbil (Kurdistan) is a generally peaceful and autonomous region of Iraq, it is a post-conflict area that still experiences occasional violence, generally not directed towards NGO staff or foreigners.
Language: Proficiency in written and spoken command of Kurdish and in Arabic is required and Knowledge English is preferred.
Free to Run is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We don’t just accept differences — we celebrate, support and thrive on them for the benefit of our team, our programs, and our organizational strength. We are proud to be an affirmative action employer, committed to diversity, equity and inclusion of ALL people in our hiring and employment practices. We encourage applications from people who have non-dominant identities based on race, ethnicity, migration status, ability, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic class, etc.
To Apply for this Position: interested applicants can submit their applications by completing the form through this link. Please ensure to provide essential information and upload your cover letter and CV/resume in PDF format. The deadline for submitting applications is September 30, 2023.
Please note: Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Bids & Tenders
written on November 27, 2023, 1:30 pmby in Bids and Tenders
Tender Title: BORDA/IRAQ - Online Training on Decentralized Sanitation P...
written on November 27, 2023, 1:15 pmby in Bids and Tenders
Tender Title: BORDA/IRAQ - Audit Service for Preparing Annual Financial ...
written on November 27, 2023, 1:00 pmby in Bids and Tenders
Tender Title: Providing (three-wheel motorcycles) Livelihood for Poor Fa...
written on November 26, 2023, 5:30 pmby in Bids and Tenders
Tender Title: Providing Livestock (Sheep and Cows) for a Livelihood Enha...