About SEED Foundation: SEED Foundation is a locally-registered NGO in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. SEED’s mission is to protect, empower, and support the recovery of survivors of violence and others at risk. SEED is committed to delivering quality and holistic approaches, combining international expertise and local know-how to achieve results for the people of Iraq and Kurdistan. SEED’s programming focuses on four key objectives: 1) the delivery of transformational, comprehensive MHPSS services including case management, mental health, and legal services, as well as psychosocial support activities; 2) strengthening the capacity of service providers through education, training, and capacity-building programs; 3) promoting policy and social change to strengthen the rights of, and protections for, vulnerable groups and individuals; and, 4) supporting the protection and recovery of survivors of trafficking, including through SEED’s shelter for victims of trafficking and those at risk, after care services, and prevention work to reduce the risk of trafficking through public awareness, technical assistance, and advocacy for legal, regulatory, policy, process, and institutional changes.
Role of the Translator/Interpreter: The SEED Translator/Interpreter will be undertaking written and oral translation and interpretation services in Arabic, English, and Kurdish, primarily Badini. The successful candidate will have excellent command of all three languages and will translate documents from one language to another; as well as spoken passages from one language to another during training, workshops, meetings, conferences, and other occasions as requested. The position requires support to and coordination with team members in particular Communications team and clients of different religious, ethnic, cultural, educational, and socio-economic backgrounds.
The Translator/Interpreter position will be based in Duhok and occasionally travel to other areas within the KRI as needed. The Translator/Interpreter will report to the Duhok, Program Manager.
- Written translation of selected materials in Kurdish (primarily Badni), English and Arabic.
- Translate at seminars, meetings, teleconferences, training, conferences and other occasions as requested.
- Provides documents in correct grammatical format as a well-expressed final version of the translated text.
- Translate and support in the development of content and reporting for websites, newsletters, social media including drafting success stories.
- Proof-read, edit, and revise translated texts covering grammar, spelling and punctuation accuracy.
- Produce concise and accurate translations with edit content with an eye toward maintaining its original format (e.g. font and structure) while ensuring the translated content conveys original meaning and tone of the document.
- Refer to reference materials such as dictionaries, lexicons, quotations, encyclopedias, and computerized terminology banks to ensure accurate translation of mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS), humanitarian aid, protection and human rights terminology.
- Compile terminology and information to be used in translations, including technical terms such as those for MH & PSS materials.
- Provide high quality translations within deadlines, and use appropriate software for presentation and delivery.
- Interpretation of selected materials in Kurdish (primarily Badni), English and Arabic.
- Provide consecutive and/or simultaneous interpretation during meetings, teleconferences, training, conferences, field visits, service delivery sessions, events and workshops.
- Interpret communications into the specified languages, orally, maintaining message content, context, and style as much as possible.
- Interpret formal letters, PR materials, various texts, audio recordings, subtitles for videos and online presentations, social media posts, meeting notes, scripts, impact and success stories, as well as other documents as requested.
- Take part in briefing or prepare through reading and study on the subject to be discussed prior to interpreting the session.
Administrative Tasks: 20%
- Undertake administrative archiving, filing, printing, scanning of documents as needed.
- Undertake minutes at both internal and external meetings.
- Support the preparation of program communication materials.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- University degree in languages, and administration or a related field.
- Minimum of 2 years of work experience as an interpreter and translator within an organization. A background or experience in Mental Health or Psychosocial Support is desirable.
- High standard of spoken and written in English, Kurdish, and Arabic.
- Strong belief in human rights and gender equality.
- Must be compassionate, confident, diligent, trustworthy, resourceful, interested in learning new skills, and able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Good interpersonal skills including the ability to gain trust and build relationships with team members and clients.
- Strong computer skills.
- Knowledge of technical terms within the field of mental health and psychosocial support services (MHPSS) or humanitarian work, a plus.
- Ability to work in a stressful setting and adapt quickly to changing environments.
- Only females are being considered for this position.
- Follow ethical codes that protect the confidentiality of information
- Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via this link:
- Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- Only complete applications will be reviewed. NO CALLS PLEASE. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.