In Iraq, IOM’s Peacebuilding and Stabilization Division (PSD) aims to address the drivers of conflict and displacement through a community driven and led approach to promote resilience, social cohesion, and improved mental and emotional well-being in the targeted areas. Through five integrated pillars: Social cohesion, MHPSS and Protection, Livelihoods, Community Service and Quick Impact Projects, and CVE/PVE programming, IOM’s stabilization program supports IDPs and returnees to regain a sense of safety and security, increase self- and community efficacy, and develop tools to deal with the past and regain hope and agency in the future.
Under the general guidance of the Head, the Peacebuilding and Stabilization Division, the overall supervision of the Programme Coordinator (PSD), the administrative supervision of the Head of Sub Office (HoSO) and the direct supervision of the Area Coordinator, the Project Assistant (Social Cohesion) will be responsible for the implementation and monitoring of IOM’s Social Cohesion activities as following:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Develop an activity plan in close collaboration with the PSD Area Coordinator.
- Collect through direct observation, focus group and community discussions, and key informant interviews high-quality information and share it through regular, clear and concise reports, in accordance with IOM’s guidelines and SOPs.
- Support the identification and analysis of community dynamics and protection issues and trends.
- Conduct community outreach activities and ensure the inclusiveness of vulnerable and marginalized populations in project activities.
- Support the Area Coordinator to organize and coordinate workshops, trainings, dialogue sessions, and other small group events, in close collaboration with local authorities, communities, and implementing partners.
- Assist the Area Coordinator in the overall management of the project, including administrative, coordination, and general administrative support for project development.
- Participate in the continuous monitoring and evaluation of the program and the integration of work with the activities of social cohesion and other PSD program activities on the governorate level.
- Maintain and update electronic databases and records for beneficiaries and activities and keep detailed notes of all work activities.
- Follow up Social Cohesion Community Focal Points’ mobilization activities.
- Regularly travel to all project sites in the designated region (and as needed to other regions) and monitor locations that have received IOM assistance, and QIPs support, and verify activities are being carried out in accordance with IOM guidelines and provide support to the Area coordinator to make necessary improvements or changes to social cohesion activities and strategy.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, Psychology, sociology, education, or other relevant fields from an accredited academic university or institute.
Experience and Skills:
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience in social projects/community stabilization.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Office applications, including Excel, PowerPoint, and Word as well as good working knowledge of databases and online applications (Outlook, Teams).
- Previous working experience with NGOs or international organizations would be an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in social cohesion, peacebuilding, community engagement, and conflict-sensitive programming.
- Strong knowledge of protection issues and principles.
- Knowledge of the community context and the impact of the conflict in the area.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is
- Working knowledge of any other language is an
- Work prioritization and ability to multitask.
- Shares knowledge and experience.
- Positive, constructive attitude.
- Ability to work and act under pressure with discretion in politically sensitive environment with a minimum of comfort.
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view.
- Ready to work independently, under tight deadlines.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural team environment with a positive attitude.
- Highest standards of integrity, discretion, and loyalty.
- Strives for supportive working environment and positive working relationship.
- Creates a respectful office environment free of harassment, retaliation, and promotes the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA).
While this vacancy is open to both Internals and Externals, priority shall be given to qualified Internal applicants.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via this link:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.