IOM Iraq was established in 2003, and has built a strong network of staff, offices and logistics capacity. With more than 1,500 staff and main offices in Baghdad, Erbil, and Basra and 16 sub-offices in key locations, IOM works in cooperation with the Government of Iraq to provide support across all of Iraq’s 18 governorates. IOM works in partnership with UN agencies, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and Community Service Organizations (CSOs) as a member of the United Nations Country Team (UNCT) for Iraq.
Within its Health border and mobility management (HBMM) framework, IOM delivers and promotes comprehensive, immediate and long-term preventive and curative health programmes which are beneficial, accessible, and equitable for migrants, mobile population and other vulnerable and hard to reach populations. IOM works within existing health framework and with government authorities and Health, WASH, and Protection cluster coordination mechanism. IOM provides travel health assessments, emergency life-saving assistance and health system strengthening which has been disrupted by long term conflict, distance and other accessibility issues.
IOM supports the Ministry of Health and works closely with the Departments of Health at the governorate level, UN agencies, and other health actors, to strengthen disease surveillance, case management, infection prevention and control, and risk communication and community engagement to reduce disease transmission in Iraq.
Under the general guidance of the Chief of Mission (CoM), the overall supervision of the Migration Health Head of Unit and the Migration Health Coordinator, and the technical supervision of the Migration Health Officer for Field Coordination and administrative supervisor of the head of office, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the implementation of IOM’s health programs in the assigned governorate
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the development of the governorate-level work plans, including procurement plans, HR plans, and capacity building plans, in line with IOM and different donors’ regulations.
- Responsible for the implementation, management, and supervision and ongoing of health project(s) within assigned geographic area.
- Ensure that assessments, regular monitoring is conducted both against project objectives while ensuring the quality of the activities/interventions.
- Responsible for the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in IOM health programming in the designated geographic area.
- Oversee and support the process of data collection, management, and dissemination to meet the requirements and ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities in coordination with the information management team.
- Coordinates with the operations team to ensure adequate levels of medical commodities and program supplies are maintained at all times.
- Conduct rapid assessments to determine health needs in various new locations for potential new programming.
- Conduct weekly visits to program site locations to oversee daily activities and ensure all activities are carried out as per clinic/activity guidelines and ensure IOM and DOH standards are consistently met.
- Provide weekly activity reports highlighting achievements, challenges, and key follow-up actions.
- Communicates regularly and transparently with the Field Coordinator and the Technical coordinator to solve issues and create solutions on the field which are localized and contextually specific.
- Provide concrete recommendations on improving the quality of IOM’s interventions ensuring that they are responsive to the needs and that quality assurance is mainstreamed across all activities.
- Responsible for building the capacities of partner DOH to support the transition and handover of services at the end of projects ensuring sustainable quality service delivery.
- Manage and oversee the assigned health team including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc. for MHU program staff in assigned governorate.
- Ensure regular supervision of health activities and supported facilities is taking place.
- Lead and facilitate weekly team meetings with the assigned health team, reviewing team and individual objectives, ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work.
- Promote an environment of transparency, trust and team building. Encouraging staff to share challenges and concerns, and facilitate problem solving as a team.
- Ensure that any activity requiring the handling of IOM funds is carried out in line with IOM and donor procedures and all paperwork is completed accurately and in a timely manner.
- Develop budget forecasting plans and maintain internal record of all project expenditures including tracking of submitted purchase requests.
Communication and Coordination
- Participate in relevant local level coordination meetings involving local authorities, DOH, UN agencies and NGOs.
- Coordinates with local officials or authorities as the sole focal point and coordinates bi-weekly meetings with DoH.
- Coordinate with different health services providers at field level to ensure coordinated service provision and to avoid service duplication or overlap.
- Coordinate donor field visits and third-party monitoring activities at the designated governorates.
- Coordinate with IOM PI unit at the field level to capture and portray different MHU activities.
Staff Safety and Security
- Report any security incidents or concerns to the Security Focal Point in the field, and any issues regarding workplace practices to the Field Coordinator.
- Promote the health and security of the health team by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
- Works with the health team to ensure appropriate work/life balance, promoting mental health in the workplace.
- University Degree in medicine, nursing, midwifery, or a Public Health degree or a related field in an accredited academic institution with 2 years of relevant professional experience.
- Master’s Degree in public health, epidemiology, or health service management is advantageous or from accredited academic institution
- At least two years of experience in a similar role with an international organization.
- Experience managing teams and field-level activities is required
- Experience in public health in humanitarian and protracted emergency settings.
- Experience working in a clinical setting or experience in health management and supporting national or sub-national health programs.
- Experience working in/near assigned geographic location is preferable.
- English, Kurdish and Arabic are required.
- Any other language is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
- Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
- Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
- Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
- Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
- Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
- Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
- Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
- Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
- Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
- Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
- Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
- Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
While this vacancy is open to both Internals and Externals, priority shall be given to qualified Internal applicants.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via a link:
For an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.